Monday, October 1, 2007

Please share your experiences

I created this website because we started using marijuana (cannabis) with my father recently and it had a noticeable and positive effect. Here is a copy of the email i sent to his doctor. We have been doing this for approximately 6 weeks.

**PLEASE share your experiences. click the comment button and share your experiences***

copy of email:

My dad has clear and noticeable improvements. His affect (mood) is better. He often had the confused disoriented and scrunched up face we have all seen in our loved ones. Now his face is more relaxed and he is often smiling. His mood seems improved and he seems happier. His sense of humor is back and he is often joking around and in a positive mood. His memory has also improved - he is better with short term memory and also speaks more about specific past memories than he has in recent months. He also appears to be more engaged in conversation with others and less tuned out. I have noticed he is more attentive to the environment and noticing details he had been missing for the last 6 months. (one small example to illustrate this - my car has a crack in the windshield. my father has been in this car at least 20 times in the last year while the crack has been there. The first time we were in the car together after starting the marijuana medicine, he commented on this. He has been attentive to more and more details and appears to be processing more of his environment. By training I'm a clinical psychologist so I'm a fairly keen observer of behavior. He appears to be having a very positive response to the marijuana and we will try increasing the dosage next month to see how that affects him and if that results in other improvements in his functioning.

A week ago, I decided to create a blog to share the information with others. The blog contains information on medical marijuana, including some very interesting interviews with doctors, congress members, and patient testimonials of patients who have used medical marijuana. I have also posted all the research specific to marijuana/thc and Alzheimer's that I could find. in the future I'm hoping to post more details about my father's experiences and hoping that others will post and share their stories so we all can learn more to help our loved ones. The blog is only a few weeks old but it has already been visited by people from more than half the states in the U.S. plus at least six other countries!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

me gusto tu blog.. soy el webmaster de http://www.marihuanaloca.com

te gustaria intercambiar enlaces?

alzfamily said...

There is no other medication, in our experience with my mother, that relieves aggression, anxiety, and stimulates her appetite not to mention the side effects of making her feel happy, joyful and more engaged with her surroundings.
She's still very confused, she still has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia, but it doesn't seem to bother her.
oh yeah, and unlike other medicines she has been on in the last two+ years for her behavioral symptoms (zyprexa, seroquel), there is no risk of sudden death as a side effect.
She is happy when she is medicated. She is able to stop worrying that she's losing/has lost her mind! She eats on her own. She smiles and laughs and makes and gets jokes. She sits comfortably and watches TV with the family.
I wish there were a clinical trial we could be in about marijuana and dementia. For now we are are own trial.

Anonymous said...

My mother has dementia and I am interested in thoughts about treating her with cannabutter and bread every night before she goes to bed. I'm sure that my father would have no objection because he is open minded and he was blown away by the Rick Simpson story when I shared it with him. Unfortunately I have no idea on dosage amount. I'm going to do some research on this but in the meantime if you have any pertinent information I would be forever grateful. You may contact me at skinnymanatee7@hotmail.com. Thank you... and peace.